Tofu is one of those foods that not many people like or are willing to try. I mean, I get it. I was iffy about it when I first went vegetarian; it looks funky, there’s no real flavor too it, it comes saturated in water, what is this mysterious substance? After experimenting with it a bit I have come to actually enjoy tofu.
This recipe does not require much and it’s relatively quick, which makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 package (12oz) tofu
- 3/4 c your favorite BBQ sauce
- Cooking spray or oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkle of spices- cayenne, chili powder, cumin, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice tofu in half horizontally so you have two sheets that are the same thickness, rather than one large rectangle.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and press the tofu for 30 minutes.
- I typically get about 30 cubes from each half so 60 total. For pressing, I line a plate with paper towels on the bottom and on top of the tofu and then place 1-2 plates on top.
- Marinate the tofu in BBQ for 1 hour, or longer, tossing occasionally.
- While the tofu marinates, begin cutting the cauliflower into florets.
- Line the cauliflower on a baking sheet and drizzle in oil. Sprinkle with spices. Shake the pan slightly to ensure that all the cauliflower is coated
- It is completely up to you what spices you choose to use. You can make it spicy like I did, or add your favorite seasoning.
- Line the tofu on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush some extra BBQ on.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip and brush more BBQ on.
- After the tofu has been cooking for 10 minutes, put the cauliflower in the oven.
- Bake tofu for another 20 minutes. Check on the cauliflower half way through, and shake if necessary.
- Remove tofu and cauliflower from oven and serve.
These little tofu nuggets are absolutely delicious! If you don’t want to bake them, you can always throw a little olive oil in the pan over medium heat and cook them for about 4 minutes on each side and they will get nice and crispy!
This cauliflower was absolutely delicious as well! I actually prepare the cauliflower this way when I make cauliflower burgers, I just decided to test out how it would be as a side dish and I was very happy with that decision!
I Hope you enjoyed this recipe. What do you think about tofu? If you like it, what is your favorite way to eat it?