Tofu is one of those foods that not many people like or are willing to try. I mean, I get it. I was iffy about it when I first went vegetarian; it looks funky, there’s no real flavor too it, it comes saturated in water, what is this mysterious substance? After experimenting with it a bit I have come to actually enjoy tofu.
This recipe does not require much and it’s relatively quick, which makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner.
- 1 package (12oz) tofu
- 3/4 c your favorite BBQ sauce
- Cooking spray or oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Sprinkle of spices- cayenne, chili powder, cumin, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Slice tofu in half horizontally so you have two sheets that are the same thickness, rather than one large rectangle.
- Cut the tofu into cubes and press the tofu for 30 minutes.
- I typically get about 30 cubes from each half so 60 total. For pressing, I line a plate with paper towels on the bottom and on top of the tofu and then place 1-2 plates on top.
- Marinate the tofu in BBQ for 1 hour, or longer, tossing occasionally.
- While the tofu marinates, begin cutting the cauliflower into florets.
- Line the cauliflower on a baking sheet and drizzle in oil. Sprinkle with spices. Shake the pan slightly to ensure that all the cauliflower is coated
- It is completely up to you what spices you choose to use. You can make it spicy like I did, or add your favorite seasoning.
- Line the tofu on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Brush some extra BBQ on.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, flip and brush more BBQ on.
- After the tofu has been cooking for 10 minutes, put the cauliflower in the oven.
- Bake tofu for another 20 minutes. Check on the cauliflower half way through, and shake if necessary.
- Remove tofu and cauliflower from oven and serve.
These little tofu nuggets are absolutely delicious! If you don’t want to bake them, you can always throw a little olive oil in the pan over medium heat and cook them for about 4 minutes on each side and they will get nice and crispy!
This cauliflower was absolutely delicious as well! I actually prepare the cauliflower this way when I make cauliflower burgers, I just decided to test out how it would be as a side dish and I was very happy with that decision!
I Hope you enjoyed this recipe. What do you think about tofu? If you like it, what is your favorite way to eat it?
One Comment Add yours
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.