Oh zoodles, where have you been all my life? It is hard to believe that with a spiralizer, you can turn almost any vegetable into spaghetti. Carrots, cucumber, zucchini, squash, sweet potatoes; the list can go on and on. Today though, all we care about are zucchinis.
Substituting a spiralized vegetable for pasta is a great way to cut a few carbs out of your diet. Today’s recipe is a little twist on a typical dish. You may have had teriyaki noodles before, but today we will be having zoodles, not noodles.
- 1 pound zucchini*
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tbsp low sodium teriyaki sauce
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil + more for skillet
- Salt and pepper to taste
*Note: One pound of zucchini might seem like a lot, but trust me once you’re done, you’ll feel like you don’t have enough! I spiralized 3 sm/med sized zucchinis and I would recommend doing 3-4 large ones.
- Spiralize all of the zucchinis.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tbsp of vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Once warm, add in zucchinis and cook, covered, for 2 minutes.
- While the zucchini cooks, in a small bowl mix together garlic (minced), soy sauce, teriyaki sauce and vegetable oil.
- Add sauce to the zucchinis and make sure everything is coated.
- Continue to cook the zucchini in the sauce for about 2-4 minutes.
- Serve and season to taste.
Test Kitchen: Opinion and Changes
I originally found this recipe of EatWell101. The recipe on there was basically only for the sauce, since thats the only thing you actually need to make. I removed the sesame seeds and onion from the recipe and increased the amount of sauce made. One serving of the sauce wasn’t enough to coat all of the zoodles. As mentioned above, I also recommend using 3-4 large zucchinis since they do shrink significantly while cooking.
Fair warning, you will probably only need to add pepper to the dish, not salt. Even though the soy sauce and teriyaki sauce say their “low sodium” on the bottle, they are still packed with a bunch of salt.
Overall this is just a super easy, non-time consuming recipe that you can whip together in less than 20 minutes! If you would like, you can always spiralize the zucchini ahead of time so then all you have to do is make the sauce and warm everything up!
What kinds of vegetables would you want to spiralize? Leave it in the comments below!
2 Comments Add yours
Reblogged this on mamabatesmotel.
I have always wanted to try out the veggie pasta! Glad to have ran into this recipe! 😀
LikeLiked by 1 person