Now when I think of chocolate cake, the first thing that pops into my mind definitely isn’t Christmas. One of my family members found this recipe on Pinterest and asked if I could make it for Christmas so naturally, I agreed.
Although the name doesn’t sound like Christmas, when you take a bite of one you’ll be saying, “Put some of these on a plate with a glass of milk and Santa will be in heaven!”
- 8oz cream cheese
- 1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
- 1 lg egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 box (any brand) Moist Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c confectioners’ sugar, possibly more
Note: This dough requires 1-2 hours of chilling!
- Using a stand mixer, or handheld mixer and a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter together until creamy.
- Add in egg and vanilla and scrape down the sides, if necessary.
- Add in cake mix and salt and mix until fully combined.
- Cover and chill for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and prepare baking sheets.
- Roll dough into 1 tbsp sized balls and roll into confectioners sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. At this point, you can also dust the cookies with more confectioners sugar.
Just a gooey black hole of delicious chocolate!
Test Kitchen: Opinion and Changes
As mentioned previously, a family member found this recipe on Pinterest and the recipe itself came from The Cookie Rookie. Overall no real changes were made to the recipe. The only thing I did notice though was on the original recipe the cookies look a lot lighter so I believe the cake mix I used was probably a richer chocolate; make sure you are buying Moist Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix.
Happy Baking and Happy Holidays!