I feel like putting a bunch of things into a single bowl has become a new trend. I’m not complaining those because they typically taste good! This bowl is not only delicious but very colorful as well.
If you don’t like sweet potatoes then I’m sorry because they are the main act of this meal. They’re so good, I really don’t understand how anyone could dislike these little guys.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Spices: cumin, chili powder, cayenne, garlic powder, salt, pepper
- 1 c dry quinoa
- 1 can of black beans
- 1 can of corn
- Toppings: avocado, jalapeno, bell pepper, onion
Add whatever topping you’d like! It’s your bowl and you can be as creative or uncreative as you’d like. Also, you can drizzle this with any sauce that you see fit if you feel as though it is too dry.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes into roughly 1/2 inch cubes. Place in a large bowl
- In a small bowl, mix together olive oil and spices.
- The amount of spice is based on preference, but for generic amounts, you can use 1 tsp of cumin and 1/2 tsp of the remaining.
- Drizzle the sweet potatoes in the spice mixture and toss until everything is thoroughly coated. Spead out on a baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- While that is baking, cook 1 c of dry quinoa according to package instructions.
- Drain and rinse the beans and corn. Prepare desired toppings as necessary.
- Place quinoa on the bottom of the bowl. Layer on sweet potatoes, beans, corn and other toppings.
- Optional: Drizzle with a creamy vinaigrette of your choosing.
- Mix and enjoy!
Like I said before, it’s literally just a bunch of goodness thrown into a single bowl that makes an all-around delicious meal.
Test Kitchen: Opinion and Changes
I originally found this recipe on Joyful Healthy Eats. I basically just used the concept and then changed it to my preferences. In addition, she suggests a cilantro dressing which I opted not to use. This is why I suggest using a vinaigrette of your choice if you’d like. Personally, I felt as though when all of the flavors were mixed together it tasted delicious without any additional dressing.
What is your favorite way to eat potatoes? Let me know in the comments below!