Well hello there! Did you come here for the Mac or for the Cheese? It’s your lucky day because I’ll give you both!
What can I say about Mac & Cheese that you don’t already know? They’ve been good friends for a while now, but Mac has some commitment issues; he’s always changing up what Cheese he’s with. Sometimes you’ll see him with Cheddar, other times possibly Mozzarella and if he’s feeling really crazy, you might even see him with Gruyere!! Scandalous, I know.
On a more serious note, this Mac & Cheese is delicious and the toasted breadcrumb crust put’s it over the top. If you take anything away from this recipe it should be to start putting a toasted breadcrumb crust on every version of Mac & Cheese you eat!
- 1 lb of Macaroni
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 c whole milk
- 4oz of Cheddar
- 4oz of Mozzarella
- 4oz of Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 c panko breadcrumbs
- Parm for topping
- Cook macaroni. Slightly undercook it i.e. if the box says 9 minutes, do 6.
- In a large pot, melt 2 tbsp of unsalted butter over medium heat.
- Once the butter is bubbling, add 2 tbsp of flour. Whisk over medium-high heat until a thick paste forms and it has a slightly nutty scent.
- Slowly drizzle in 1 c of whole milk until a thick sauce forms that is comparable to the consistency of gravy.
- Return to medium-low heat and mix in the cheddar and mozzarella and continue to whisk until the cheese is fully combined.
- Mix in 4oz of parmesan and continue to stir until it is a consistency that you like. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- In a large skillet, melt 2 tbsp of unsalted butter over medium-high heat until it is bubbling.
- Place 1 c of panko bread in the pan and toast them with the butter. Cook until the breadcrumbs have browned.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the pasta and mix thoroughly.
- The undercooked pasta will absorb the cheese sauce and continue to cook while it’s in the oven.
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish or casserole dish. Pour the macaroni into the dish, making sure to spread it out evenly.
- Top with toasted breadcrumbs and then sprinkle some extra parmesan over the top as well.
- Cover and bake for 10 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
I swear this Mac & Cheese will be one of the greatest things you’ve ever tasted. Unless you’re allergic to cheese, then you will probably hate it.
The inspiration for this recipe came from Binging with Babish. This is a YouTuber who has some great recipes; he puts out videos of him making meals from iconic shows. He also has his own blog. I would highly recommend checking him out.