Do you like Chipotle? Well if you do and you’re vegetarian, then you’re in luck! Now you can make your own sofritas bowl without having to go to Chipotle! If you’re not vegetarian or you have never been to Chipotle and have no clue what sofritas are, that’s okay, keep reading and you’ll see! Sofritas are basically just tofu that is ground up to the consistency of ground beef and then cooked in a sauce. It’s like a vegetarian version of ground beef but a lot better.
For these bowls, like most bowls that I have posted, you can customize your toppings however you’d like!
- 6 oz chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 c salsa
- 1/4 c red onion
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 14 oz tofu
- 1 can black beans
- Rice of your choosing
- Sour Cream
- Prior to starting, drain your tofu and slice it into 4 thin sheets. Press these for about an hour prior to starting.
- In a food processor or blender, combine the chipotle, jalapeno, garlic, salsa, onion, salt and pepper. Blend until it is mostly smooth. Set aside.
- To reduce the spice, you can remove the spine and seed from the jalapeno prior to adding it.
- If this is too spicy for you, all a little sugar to it.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Crumble the tofu using your hands or a fork and add it to the skillet. Cook until it begins to brown slightly.
- While the tofu is cooking, begin to cook your rice and prepare any toppings, if necessary.
- Mix in the beans and the sauce. Cook for about 10 minutes until everything is combined and heated up.
- Serve the sofritas over rice and add any toppings desired.
These sofritas are definitely not for people who don’t enjoy spicy foods. It’s not as spicy as you may think though and you can always add sugar to tone it down.