I feel like everyone has a fast-food establishment of choice. I’m not saying that means you enjoy their food so much that you’d eat it for all three meals of the day, but if you’re in a pinch then you’ll probably go there to grab lunch or dinner.
For me, that was typically Subway. My boyfriend and his friends though preferred Taco Bell. In high school, they would literally drive about 30 minutes to the closest one…just for Taco Bell… I still don’t quite understand it, but I have tried their crunch wraps and they are decent.
I wanted to see if I could recreate that at home with my own (probably healthier and tastier) version. This is what we got!
- Olive oil
- 16oz package extra firm Tofu
- 1 package Taco Seasoning (choose which based on your preference)
- 2 chipotle peppers (I use the ones that come in adobo sauce)
- 1/2 c salsa
- 7 large flour tortillas
- 6 tostadas
- Shredded lettuce
- Cheddar cheese (shredded or cheese sauce)
- Sour cream
If you have a sofrita recipe that you like, then disregard the first four ingredients after olive oil!
- Prepare the sofritas:
- Slice the tofu into 3rds and press the slices for 20 minutes to get some moisture out
- Chop the peppers; use a food processor to get finner pieces
- Heat oil in a large skillet
- Add the tofu and break into crumbles, cook for about 5 minutes
- Mix in the peppers, 2 tbsp of taco seasoning and the salsa
- Allow everything to get to temperature and then let it sit for a few minutes, untouched
- If you would like to add rice to your wraps, cook it while you are cooking the sofritas
- Prepare any toppings, if necessary
- Before assembling the wraps, have a pan heating on medium-low so it’s ready for the wrap once assembled
- Assemble the wrap
- Lay a large flour tortilla on a flat surface
- In the center of the tortilla, place an even layer of the sofritas mixture and rice, if applicable
- Place a thin layer of cheese on top of this
- Put a tostada on top of the cheese
- Stack your toppings on the tostada: sour cream, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cheese
- Take another large tortilla and cut it into 4ths
- Place 1/4 on top of your toppings
- Fold up the sides of the bottom tortilla so it is completely sealed (see image below)
- Carefully transfer your wrap to the heated pan, folded side down and cook for about 2 minutes per side, or until it remains sealed
These tasted absolutely delicious! If there was anything to complain about, it would be the fact that the cheese didn’t completely melt (I used plain shredded cheddar). That is why I suggested using a cheese sauce. Also, as you can see in the images, I decided to add rice and beans to mine to give them more substance.
Test Kitchen: Opinion and Changes
I originally found this recipe on Pinch of Yum. I did not many any substantial changes to the recipe, but I opted to add in the beans and rice. In addition to this, I decided to use regular cheddar rather than making the vegan cheese sauce she had included in the post.
Rather than making the sofritas mixture, you can opt to just use regular ground beef. I would recommend making the meat as you would for regular tacos!