I feel like this soup recipe needs to come with a warning to be careful, but at the same time, I feel like most people would be smart enough not to do this. When I was making the soup I pushed on the chicken too hard with my spoon and it slipped and I splashed the liquid and burnt myself. The moral of the story here is to be careful and don’t splash hot soup on your skin!
If you love chicken fajitas, then you will love this soup! This soup is a little more though; it’s not just average fajita ingredients. I think that’s what makes it so delicious though!
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1 can (15oz) black beans
- 1 can (15oz) corn
- 1 can (15oz) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 c chicken broth
- 1 pkg fajita mix
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Tortilla strips
- Prepare vegetables: dice peppers and onions, mince garlic, drain/rinse black beans and corn
- In a large pot, heat oil over meat
- Add peppers, onions and garlic. Saute for 3-5 minutes
- Mix in beans, corn, diced tomatoes, chicken broth and fajita mix
- Stir everything and then submerge the chicken in the pot
- Bring the soup to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes
- Use a pair of tongs to pull the chicken out and shred it with two forks
- Before putting the chicken back, use a hand immersion blender to slightly puree the soup
- If you don’t have an immersion blender, spoon 1/2 of the soup mixture into a normal blender and blend it on low until the majority of the chunks are gone
- Add the chicken back to the pot and allow all the ingredients to get back to temperature before serving
- Top with desired toppings
This soup was delicious! You can feel free to skip step 8 if you like chunky soup, but I think by blending it you get more flavors our of it.
Test Kitchen: Opinion and Changes
I originally found this recipe on A Spicy Perspective. I decided to add corn to the soup, decrease the amount of broth and add the blending step. In additon, I decided to top mine with cheese and sour cream.